Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Economy may lose more than $100m if refinery is closed for a month: Economists

Pulau Bukom Shell refinery fire: Counting the losses      Published on Oct 5, 2011 in the Straits Times
 
What Shell's Pulau Bukom offshore petroleum complex in Singapore looked like after a fire was put out on Sept 29. -- PHOTO: REUTERS
The all clear was given on Shell's Pulau Bukom refinery site on Tuesday, even as operations remain in the process of being shut down. An all-clear safety siren was sounded at 2pm. However, the area around what is known as pump house 43, which is where the fire broke out seven days ago, is still under 'strict control' according to an internal staff memo.

The local economy could suffer a hit of more than a $100 million if the massive Bukom refinery closes for a month, economists have said. The oil giant's plant, which refines 500,000 barrels a day and is Shell's largest in the world, was shut down following a 32-hour fire last week.

Economists looked at the value added to the economy from the petroleum refining and petrochemicals industries, to estimate the cost of closing the plant. Naturally, the costs will vary depending on how long the closure lasts and how much economic activity is lost.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Preparation work likely cause of Bukom fire

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has found that the 32-hour-long fire at Shell's Pulau Bukom refinery was caused by preparation work for maintenance.

An investigation conducted by the MOM's Occupational Safety and Health Inspectorate found that a suction truck that was involved in siphoning residual oil through a pipeline could have cause a spark and ignited the oil, reported The Straits Times.

The fire eventually spread and became a lot bigger within the area of the pump house. The petroleum company has confirmed that it they have declared force majeure on a few clients as more investigations continue.
Force majeure is a clause used commonly in contracts that frees parties from liability when an uncontrollable event happens.
Shell's safety procedures are also under scrutiny by MOM.
There were no casualties resulting from the fire that started last Wednesday last until Thursday night.

Source: www.asiaone.com 4 Oct 2011

Traces of fuel vapour remain in affected area after Shell Bukom fire

Picture taken on 30 September. Foam used by firefighters in the vicinity of the pump house (photo taken from Shell Singapore website)

<>Picture taken on 30 September. Foam used by firefighters in the vicinity of the pump house (photo taken from Shell Singapore website)<>

<>SINGAPORE: The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) says traces of fuel vapour remain in the affected area, two days after the blaze at Shell's Pulau Bukom oil refinery was extinguished on Thursday after a 32-hour battle.

The oil giant and authorities are monitoring the situation, and a fresh batch of firefighters was sent to the island on Saturday morning.

Giving an update, Shell said foaming operations are continuing at parts of the incident site, with damage confined to the vicinity of the pump house.

It added other facilities and units are not affected and only essential operating personnel are on the island.

Shell said it's too early to assess how much the fire will cost the company.

It said efforts are ongoing to bring the situation back to normal at the refinery, the company's biggest.

The company does not expect any shutdown units to be restarted until a thorough investigation has been conducted and safety is assured.

The Ministry of Manpower has stepped in to investigate the cause of the fire.

Shell said it deeply regrets the incident and is talking to customers to address product supply and minimise any potential impact on them.

Source: CNA/ir
<>

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gov't probes cause of Bukom refinery fire

Smoke and flames rise from the Royal Dutch Shell's Pulau Bukom offshore petroleum complex in Singapore on Wednesday 28 September 2011. Another explosion occurred Thursday, 29 September 2011 around noon local time.
(AP Photo/Sharon Tan)